Friday, September 16, 2011

Friday Link-Up #60!

*R*

Not a whole lot going on this week - Nan went home Monday, and I was sick with a sore throat for a few days. I completed some long-term projects that I can't wait to show you all (as soon as I am able to) and so now I'm just relaxing doing some cross stitch and reading and other misc. things for awhile. :) It's so nice! Autumn is coming, slowly here, but surely. I am in that "baking" mood which I love, and also that wearing heavy knit sweaters mood, curling up in a blanket, and walking in the crisp cool days with the leaves rustling above and below me mood. *bliss* :)

Because I was sick, mom, dad and Jessica went to our annual church picnic, of which I'd already (thankfully) made the dessert for. So Nan and the boys and I stayed home and rested. Apparently, the snickerdoodle bars were a BIG hit, because mom and Jess said they'd hardly eaten the meal and when they went to get one they were all gone already! I guess they liked it! That's what a cook likes to hear. ;) HeHe! They were really good...we saved some for us at home and I ate my a day or so later (even though, yes, my throat was still a little sore).

We are counting down the days until the movie, Courageous, comes out in theaters on the 30th!! :D We are planning on going opening day...that is our hope anyway. We have been so excited about this project and these filmmakers! :D I still am blessed, encouraged, and inspired by their previous films. :) I pray that this one, which is geared towards fathers/men, will be a great challenge to many!

Today Jessica and I are helping out at our church's ladies bible study by babysitting (we've done a couple fill-in's a few months ago but this will be our first "full-time" babysitting time). We're looking forward to spending some time with little ones again. :) It should be fun!



Spiritual
Finding True Joy...Thoughts on Contentment: by Miss Jenna ~ Just about every girl longs to be married one day, but the waiting is oh, so hard sometimes! Jenna encourages young ladies to seek Christ, and find their true joy and contentment in Him! "
Instead of giving everything to God because you want your way, you give every area of your life to God because you desire HIS way." - Jenna

Did You Know?: by Dakota ~ This is not a long post...but it really gets you thinking! A short, but powerful message.




Homemaking
Homemaker Happenings: Perfect Crispy Bacon! ~ Hate that greasy bacon? Or does your's come out more "gooey" than "crispy"? I tried this way of *baking* the bacon (lol, that sounds funny) and it worked!! :D I'll never go back to the old methods again! ;D

10 Idea's for Recycling Old Towels
~ This is *brilliant*!! :D From bath mats and spa slippers, to swiffer mop reusable pads to beach bags!

Homemade Fabric Softener ~ I don't know if it works well or not, but our family goes through a lot of this and I imagine this would be a LOT cheaper! Especially if you buy the hair conditioner at the dollar store (like we do). ;)

"Soup"-er Storage Idea
~ This is a great way to organize canned goods on a shelf, in an attractive way! :) If your family does not drink canned soda's and the like, try using another similar style box or asking another family if they would save their boxes for you! :D

Cleaning Your Cast Iron Pans ~ Very important to know!

Natural Homemade Glue Recipe ~ Flour, sugar, water, vinegar - that's all it takes! No expensive or strange ingredients!




Crafts
One Warm Coat Scarves - Knit version - Crochet version ~ These are two very basic scarf patterns that are so easy a beginner will be able to make them! These make great Christmas gifts (if you're like me and plan in advance for such things) or make good charity projects! :D It's always nice to share the talents and resources that God has given to help others! :)

Lacey To-Up Socks ~ A lovely intermediate sock pattern...perfect for the colder months coming up!

Easy Headband Tutorial(s) ~ Fabulous idea's for a variety of headband designs! Anything from ruffles to bows!

DIY Mod Podge ~ Make your own mod podge for all your crafting needs easily with glue and water!!! :D Use your new jar of mod podge for fabric-covered pots, cover an old computer mousepad with beautiful fabric, make pretty scrapbook covered tile coasters, a serving tray, a clip board, or any NUMBER of projects on this blog, dedicated for just this purpose!

How to Antique Paper ~ A great tutorial on how to make new paper look old. Great for framing projects!

TONS of sewing tutorials for ladies and children's clothing as well as other odds and ends, including this lovely tutorial to create a pleated neckline on a shirt! :)

Ruffled Baby Shoes ~ These are the *CUTEST* things I have ever seen!!! ;D Or, you can try these other patterns for baby shoes!

Pleated Purse ~ A tutorial for a beautiful trendy bag!

Quilted Heart Potholders ~ Really cute!

Create Your Own Envelopes! ~ Such a fun project to do and can make a lovely gift as well (when paired with some stationary and such)!



Recipes

Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip-Peanut Butter Chip Muffins ~ A peanut butter muffin studded with peanut butter and chocolate chips! Say "Good morning"! ;D lol

Mozzarella-Stuffed Cheeseburger ~ "This ain't your average cheeseburger" says this blogger! ;) And is she right! This nicely seasoned cheese-stuffed burger gets topped with creamy avocado and grilled vegetables to create a most amazing sandwich! Yummy!

Snickerdoodle Brownies ~ Okay, so these are more like a cross between a blondie and a sugar cookie bar really...but BOY do they look GOOD!!! Seriously, these could be really bad for me to make. ;) lol

THE Cornbread and Fluffy Honey Butter ~ The perfect cornbread recipe and a light and fluffy honey butter to spread on this, or other delightful baked goods!

Saffron Walnut Rice Pilaf ~ Ooh, this looks really good! Pilaf is a dish in which rice is cooked in a seasoned broth (Wikepedia). This one uses some saffron threads, but I think you might be able to use the teeniest pinch of ground saffron instead (see here for substitution). This makes a nice side dish for a roast or an Indian dish, or even a nice lunch! Try it, I think you'll like it! It's fun trying new things in the kitchen from all around the world! :D

Caramel Apple Dip ~ A tasty cream cheese-caramel-toffee dip perfect for serving with all those Autumn apples that will be here soon!

Chili and Cornbread in a Jar ~ The "In-a-jar" recipes are a huge hit these days, but I've yet to see one like this! Chili on the bottom, and cornbread on the top...great for toting to picnics or outdoor events! If you don't like chili, perhaps you may want to try this BBQ version in a jar instead!

Pumpkin Pound Cake ~ Moist, and filled with Autumn spices.

S'more Cookie Bars ~ These are now on my top 10 "to try" list! ;D These are teh best s'more knock-off recipe I think I've seen yet!

Honey-Roasted Peanut Butter ~ Only 3 ingredients and a food processor...a few minutes...and you'll have a delicious peanut butter to gift or serve to your family!

Carrot Cake Cookies ~ Favorite cake-turned fluffy cakey cookie!

Made-Over Chicken Tettrazini

White Chocolate, Cranberry, and Strawberry Rocky Road
~
A delightful white chocolate candy studded with dried strawberries and cranberries, a few dried apples, and nice big chunks of marshmallows! This would be sublime for gift giving! *Note: some of the measurements are in grams; the 800 grams of white chocolate converts to
1.70 pounds, if that makes it easier for you to measure out. :)

Marbled Peanut Butter and Chocolate Snickers Cookies ~ Need I say more? ;)





Quote of the Week:

I may repeat “Do as you would be done by” till I am black in the face, but I cannot really carry it out till I love my neighbor as myself: and I cannot learn to love my neighbor as myself till I learn to love God: and I cannot learn to love God except by learning to obey Him.” [Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis, p. 87]



God bless! :)
~Rachel~

No comments: